Thursday, September 07, 2006
Suspect transfer suspends CIA prison program
A senior intelligence official said there had been fewer than 100 detainees in the C.I.A. program since its inception shortly after the Sept. 11 attacks. Beyond the 14 suspects moved, the remainder have either been turned over to the Defense Department as so-called unlawful enemy combatants, returned to their countries of origin or sent to nations that have legal proceedings against them. But, he said, "Some of these people have been held for a considerable period of time, and their intelligence value has aged off."
The transfer of suspects to Guantánamo Bay effectively suspended the extraordinary program, in which the intelligence agency became the jailer and interrogator of suspects counterterrorism officials considered the world’s most wanted Islamic extremists. here
CIA officials have worried about being accused of making detainees permanently disappear. here
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]